Friday, March 20, 2015

We eat a lot.

Ben is teaching me how to take better food pictures. These are in chronological order. I like to think there has been some improvement in the last two weeks, like you'd actually want to eat the last photo. The forks are not props; we are actually about to eat the models, and we don't set a proper table unless we feel fancy, which we totally will if you visit. Scratch that. Screw fancy. When you come, we eat family style. 

Sprouts a'sprouting!

Howard's end. This is actually Howard Jr. Ben caught him for us at Rose Lake in the mountains. 

Homemade ruby sauerkraut and cauliflower-jalapeño-carrot pickles (Howard likes to dress up).

Whole foods special ordered me a pasture-raised beef heart. We sautéed some of it with mushrooms, scallions, ginger, and garlic. I made beef jerky with the rest and have stopped taking CoQ10 for the week. 

Because love is the reason. 

If we are growing wheatgrass with hard red wheat berries, are we no longer a gluten-free house? Bummer. 

Yes, it's sprouts and kraut all the time. 

I repeat...

I made grain-free burger buns!!! Hallelujah! Plantains, coconut flour, eggs. They tasted like cornbread, which I am pretty sure was what biblical manna from heaven tasted like. 

The kicker was the grilled onions in bacon grease. Seriously. 

Zucchini noodles with fresh, raw pesto and sautéed shrimp and asparagus. So good we ate it two nights in a row. 

I'm currently obsessed with stacking food, mostly sprouts, if you can believe that. This one is topped with sunflower sprouts, tender and sweet and meaty, if a sprout can be meaty. That's not an enchilada, I just grossly miscalculated some tapioca starch making a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants quick sauce. Ben called it the delicious mucous. Lesson learned. 

Also obsessed with Elana Amsterdam's grain-free cupcake book that Susan Jones gave me a few years ago. I tweaked a couple of her frosting recipes to get a coconut-based chocolate frosting that will hold up to the desert heat without sliding around and turning to liquid. Baby, if I have to bribe you to visit, I will. 

Vanilla-almond muffins (also a tweaked recipe from Susan, my paleo food guru), with some decidedly not-local-but-totally-irresistible strawberries. 

This may turn into a food blog soon. You've been warned.